Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reno Earthquakes

If I hear one more person say "I made it through the blah blah quake of 19blah blah, why are you scared-this is nothing" I will kick them hard. In the shin.

I've lived through the 1989 Watsonville quake, the 1987 quake that destroyed the parking structure near my home (hey, Whittier!), and the Landers/Big Bear quakes. I know our quakes are relatively small-but THEY WON'T STOP. We have had over 500 earthquakes in the past week, I'm about 2 miles from the epicenter, and it's a little unnerving to wake up 5 times a night thinking this is the big one.

They can't predict quakes, but they do "forecasts". For example, the 1989 quake fell in to the window they forecast-a 7.2 quake sometime that year, or whatever. So I am taking the prediction of a 6.0 seriously. And being so close is not good-the 4.7 flung things off of my walls and shelves.

Jesus, I need some sleep.

No comments: