Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book Review

Pocket Guide to the Afterlife by Jason Boyett.

I'd like to start off by saying the reason I poke fun at religion and jeebus and all that nonsense is.....I am quite envious of people's ability to have blind faith, and their ability to just live their lives, knowing that their celestial reward is waiting. I wish I could have that sort of faith, I really do. I just can't grasp it. Even with my Mormon upbringing, it all just seems so.....ridiculous.

Anyhoo, I LOVED this book! It explores the various beliefs of what happens to us when we die. It explores how Heaven and Hell are viewed and referenced in the Bible, in Chinese Mythology (My personal favorite-the 18 chambers in the Tenth Court of Diyu), Greek Mythology, etc...

And as much as I loved this book, I still had trouble wrapping my brain around the ability to truly believe in any of it. I'm sure there's a special place for non-believers like me.

If such a place existed.

No comments: