Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Review

Blackbird: A childhood lost and found by Jennifer Lauck

I hate when I do this. I hate it when someone tells me, or I read about, some horrific childhood, and I'm like "Really? That was a cake walk compared to mine."

I never say it out loud-I know each persons definition of horrific is different-but I found out about this book from a website that listed it as a great story of overcoming horrible, horrible circumstances. So I was disappointed when I read her story and it wasn't as........horrific as I had led myself to believe. Then when she was returned to her family at the age of I believe 11-I kind of lost sympathy. What had she overcome at the age of 11? The hype I read surrounding this book did not match the story inside.

That being said, it is quite the tale, though I wonder how many of those details she actually remembered, and how many were embellished for the sake of the story. Which I guess is the mark of a good story teller?

I think part of my problem with this book is my own inability to remember details, and the writer's block I have regarding my own story. I tend to write like I talk-here is what I want to say, and that's it. To embellish my own story I would be totally making things up, and that's not what I want to do.

Anyway, it's not a bad story, and it's not at all badly written.

2 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Lula, you make good observations there. For the sake of even "Hollywood" story lines are embelleshed in movies. So, really on the person knows, but really God knows for sure the truth. Thanks for the review.
Blessings....

Lula said...

Thanks for reading!