Thursday, September 3, 2009

So excited!

Here is my dream life-

Working for the battered women's shelter, or the suicide helpline, or as a psych tech in the children's ward-anything to give back the help I've received in my life. (really super uber dream come true? Psychologist)

The problem is, even after 2-4 years of schooling, I'd start out making less than what I'm making now.

So I'm stuck in the weird position of wanting to help, but not being able to quit my job, go back to school , etc.. (Mortgage, braces, medical bills, oh my!)

We stopped by our local grocery store tonight, and our favorite checker said-

"I'm so glad you guys came in! This is my last night, I have a new job-volunteer coordinator for the crisis call line! It's what I went to school for!"

I congratulated her, and told her-"I'm jealous. That is a dream come true job for me, but I can't afford to quit my job and go back to school."

Her response-"Volunteer!"

Duh!

So, I'm signing up to go through the 74 hours of training required to be a crisis call center volunteer. Not only will I be able to help others, but I can keep my job. What's one night a week?

You need to find the things that make life worthwhile and more fulfilling wherever you can. And at the ripe old age of 40, I think I can help. I WANT to help.

I have the blessing of my family-most important. And I'll be giving back the things I have learned/lived through.

I can't wait!

3 comments:

Deirdre Bunny said...

This is super rad-tastical.

=D

wirecutter said...

I did a stint as a peer counselor for homeless drug addicts. I never was homeless, but the addict part... it was rewarding. I actually made a difference in 1 person's life that I know of. I'll tell you all about it when we meet next time.

Lula said...

Thanks B!

Wirecutter, I would love to hear about it. I'm actually a bit afraid that my "issues" will get in the way, but I'm going to try my ass off.