Friday, May 2, 2008

My Brain Hurts

So my son (12), in his infinite wisdom, informed me earlier in the week that today was an early release day at school.

I get a phone call at 12:50- "Mom, I was wrong, today is not an early release day but Mrs. ****** let me use my phone to call you and let you know."

So when I get home from work, and I'm looking through his folder, I see the early release notice.

"Is there anything you want to tell me about today?"

"No."

"Ok."

So I immediately call my girlfriend, who has kids in the same school.

"Did the kids have early release today?"

"Yes."

"You are in SO MUCH TROUBLE. What time did you get out today?"

"3"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Go to your room."

So he's busted. And I'm a little panicky. How the hell can I keep you safe if I don't even know where you are?

A swat for lying, no phone, tv, internet, etc...

I remember being 12.

Sometimes I think I am not cut out to be a parent. (A little late, I know) My heart breaks all the time, and I know it's just normal kid stuff, but the fear I felt when I realized I didn't know where my kid was for 2 hours? And I admit-I smelled him. For pot, booze, whatever.

Part of me wants to tell him "Dude-if you're going to lie, you need to be better at it."

Happy Friday.

No comments: