Friday, April 17, 2009

Book Review

The Spare Room by Helen Garner.

I really liked this book. The story of a woman whose best friend is dying of cancer, and how she opens her home to the friend while she undergoes some crazy treatments.

The frustration the narrator feels,I could totally relate to. She was able to say "No, I can't do this anymore, you have to go home"-then of course feel guilty about it.

I think reading this book helped me to realize that the things I did, and kept on doing, while my mother was dying-were superhuman. No matter how exhausted I was, how much stress I felt, I kept going. It was the right thing to do.

I went in to foster care when I was 12 and my various mental problems really started manifesting themselves. Many people asked me "Why? Why are you doing all this for your mother when she gave up on you when you needed her the most?"

My answer-because it's the right thing to do.

No comments: