Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Goodbye Newman

I had to put my cat down yesterday. My entire family is totally and utterly devastated.

He was more than just a cat, he was part of my family, and my last link to my mother. It was a very hard decision to make. He was very old, arthritic, diabetic, and losing his sight and hearing. The vet said even if we could get the diabetes under control, he was so old that it was just a matter of time before it was something else.

So we spent the day with Newman, feeding him his favorite treats, taking him outside so he could feel the sunshine and wind. Then we took him to the vet, held him in our arms, and let him go.

I told him what a good cat he was, and how much we will miss him. I also told him to say hello to my sister and mother when he sees them on the other side.

The weird thing? When we were putting him down, the song we played at my sister's funeral was playing.

Goodbye Newman. I'll miss you old man.



2 comments:

Miyonao said...

I'm so sad to hear that. I can understand how much that would hurt. But he had a great life with all of you. I think there's no regret in his mind. He might be thanking you right now.

Feel better soon...

Lula said...

Thanks Miyonao