Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Random Thought

Actually a not so random thought, since I was on my way to cook Ahi Tuna for dinner...

When I was little, we lived next door to a single mother who shared a house with her father. The little girl, whose name I can't remember for the life of me, couldn't pronounce my name so she called me Tuna. I still remember her little voice, calling out "Tuuunnnnnaaaaaa".

When my father was arrested, in the week or so before we packed our belongings and ran for our lives, a man came to our door. My brother and I were, of course, home alone. I remember him brandishing a knife, demanding to know where our father was. One of us snuck out the back door and went next door to the neighbor's house to ask for help.

The single mother wasn't home, but her father was. That old man marched right over to our front door with a shotgun in his hand and told the man with a knife to get the hell off of our property-"You leave those kids alone".

Years later, when I was in my 20's, I went back to see the house I grew up in. I thought maybe seeing it would lessen the horror in my mind. The single mother still lived next door, but her father had passed away. I told her of the above incident, and let her know how thankful I was that an old man had risked his life to save us from some knife wielding drug addicted maniac.

Just another thing to be thankful for.

No comments: